Friday, October 17, 2008

like a river glorious

i'm slightly dreading this weekend. three 12-hour shifts in a row.
that's right. saturday. sunday. monday.
but in spite of the lack of sanity that i am sure to experience by the end of it, God has been giving me little nuggets, especially today. and it all just seems to say, "yes, i am especially fond of you, alison. i'll help you make it through the next few days. remember my blessings on you. remember how fond i am of you."

the sun is shining.
the clock tower sang to us, "like a river glorious"
martha and i sat on the big toy at the park, talking, while little children raced around us. and then we just watched the kids and laughed.
"come and get me gramma!"
"maybe you should have someone younger chase you."

"i'm not going down there!"
finding a hymnal in the practice rooms and having martha play me "like a river glorious."
walking martha home.
getting confirmation that my efforts aren't wasted.
knowing i have good people in my life. heaps of them, in fact, that continue to bless me beyond my expectations.

this hymn is so refreshing to me, and it is exactly what i needed today-
Like a river glorious, is God's perfect peace,
Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
Perfect, yet it floweth, fuller every day,
Perfect, yet it groweth, deeper all the way.

Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.

Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand,
Never foe can follow, never traitor stand;
Not a surge of worry, not a shade of care,
Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there.

Every joy or trial falleth from above,
Traced upon our dial by the Sun of Love;
We may trust Him fully all for us to do.
They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true