Sunday, July 13, 2008

needy?

we're told not to be needy in relationships right?
for me, needy seems to bring words like
clingy
possessive
desperate
and
insecure
to my mind.
none of which i want to be.

but what if we're supposed to be needy?
what if we recognized our weaknesses and looked for others to fill them?
what if we recognized that we needed someone else?
instead of looking for the perfect someone who brings at least as many benefits to the relationship as our own laundry list...
what if we looked for an imperfect someone to help us make it through the hard times, someone we needed and who needed us...
but for that to happen we have to give up some independence. we have to be willing to vulnerable. we have to be willing to need someone else.

these two articles got me to start thinking about how i approach relationships, and the impact our culture has had on my ideas about marriage and relationships:
so if you want to read what inspired me to think about these things, here you go-
looking for love like a peasant
when to settle

and maybe someday, i'll be able to sing along with stevie wonder:
"for once in my life, i have someone who needs me..." =)

No comments: