Saturday, October 20, 2007

am i who i seem to be?

we all want to put our best face forward.
the most complimentary angle to be shown.
all of our strengths displayed, but none of our weaknesses.

although i obviously don't expose my most vulnerable areas for just anyone on the internet to browse over, i do hope that this offering of my thoughts is more than me selecting my most clever conclusions to write about. but even in saying that, am i trying to seem spiritual in my concern for any pride and people-pleasing tendencies? i hope not.

i read this article yesterday, which made me question my reasons for blogging. is it all just a performance? does it influence how i interact with jesus? do i perform for him?

the article ends with this phrase:
esse quam videri
to be, rather than to seem.

i truly value authenticity and vulnerability in others, but also myself.
exposing tender areas.
showing true colors.
being rather than seeming.

1 comment:

.justin said...

i've tried very hard to be honest and completely upfront about the things i am doing, thinking, watching, reading, praying, processing, listening to, etc. on my blog.


i think, in some ways, this has been a great experience for both myself and my readers, as it lends a truthful and an accessible view of myself, a youth pastor.


i think the "holiness-factor" of a pastoral figure is valued in a generation past. today, on the other hand, i believe an "authenticity-factor" is more strongly valued. part of this is what drives me to be as real and honest as possible, even when my choices are not perceived to be "safe".


however, this has bothered some people, and i have chosen to take a slight hiatus from blogging in the meantime to process this reaction to my posting. [which is funny b/c 95% of my posts are about nothing but JESUS!] it is not the majority, it is definitely the minority, to be sure... but either way, it is what it is...


as i read your post, i do want to chime in and encourage you to be as real and honest and vulnerable as possible. people aren't won to jesus by observing another person's "holiness". i believe that jesus' love and plan for our lives is most clearly seen when we walk as REDEEMED people in and among culture; humble, broken, repaired, and free. and not as the zealots or the essenes did, who tried to seek the approval of GOD in their religious hideouts, while the hebrew people were oppressed by roman rule and religious manipulation.


so go for it! be who you truly are. write what you think.

BE WHO YOU SEEM!