Saturday, September 27, 2008

called by name

for res. life seminar we were given the assignment to reflect on our name, and what meaning is associated with our name. here's what i came up with:

One of my favorite stories about my name is how my name was chosen. Although all of my brothers, who were born after me, have Biblical names, I find my own name to still be special. My parents had a difficult time deciding what my name should be, and after many long hours of talking through different names, only one name could be agreed upon: Alison. As the name of a dear family friend and the solitary name my parents could come to an agreement upon, my name has special meaning. And despite a lack of a Biblical character associated with my name, I do not feel left out of my family, because my name means “truthful one,” which is something God calls each of us to be.

This story is told most often by my parents, to friends and family, but especially during introductions to strangers or acquaintances when it is recognized that my name doesn’t appear to have the same Biblical theme as my brothers. I think this story is most important because it is often told to, in a way, validate my place in my family. I always feel loved when it is told, because of the sense of belonging that is implied as I am claimed by my family through the story-telling.

I think I was given my names because of the meaning associated with each of them. My last name seems to be almost a mantle of acceptance, an automatic ticket of inclusion into my family. There wasn’t great debate or decision-making associated with what my last name would be. It was merely known that when I was born into my family I would be given the same name that the rest of my family shares. My middle name is less known by the general population as my first and last name, which seems to make it a little more special, like a secret that you only share with your close friends. My middle name is shared with my Grandma, which also seems to reflect some of my personality. It seems to me that like my less pronounced character qualities (for example, my dramatic and silly side) are like my less known middle name-known by those closest to me but very present. My first name is what I am called the most, but this name also has the most variations to it. While I never introduce myself as anything but, “Alison” it does give me a secret delight when others chose to call me by a nickname. I feel as though by calling me “Ali” or some other variation of my name, they are claiming our relationship, claiming me at a deeper level.

My name is more than just what people call me. It is what I am known by. Proverbs 22:1 says that “ A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.” While I did not have any input into what my name would be, I do have a great role in shaping what my name will become through my actions. I believe that God calls me by name, but I also believe that God tells me what my name will be. Just as he changed Jacob’s name, I think that God wants to change me. The “Alison” that I would be apart from God is very different from the “Alison” that God desires to shape me to be.

Throughout the years, there have been several times where I have been asked the question, “if you could change your name to anything, what would you change it to?” I have also been at a loss for an answer to this question, because I have never disliked my name. My feelings are quite the contrary actually! I truly believe that it is one of the greatest human desires to know and be known. God has created us to be relational beings. If my name is one of the primary ways I am known, and with it is attached a sense of belonging, security, and worth, why would I ever want to give that up? I am confident that God calls me by name. Beyond anything my family or friends could ever offer me, God chooses me, claims me, secures me as his own when he calls me by name.