Thursday, September 4, 2008

overflowing

God gave me this in my devotions today. and it was exactly what i needed. i didn't realize how much until tonight after the fullness of today, when i read it again.
but once again, i am amazed at how God takes care of my needs and seeks to bless me with his provision.

"straining and striving does not accomplish the work God gives us to do. only God himself, who always works without stress and strain and who never overworks, can do the work he assigns to his children. when we restfully trust him to do it, the work will be completed and will be done well. and the way to let him do his work through us is to so fully abide in christ by faith that he fills us to overflowing.

a man who learned this secret once said, "i came to jesus and drank, and i believe i will never be thirsty again. my life's motto has become "not overwork but overflow," and it has already made all the difference in my life.

there is no straining effort in an overflowing life. and it is quietly irresistible. it is the normal life of omnipotent and ceaseless accomplishment into which christ invites each of us to enter-today and always." -streams in the desert, from sunday school times

i feel like this whole week (and i would even say the past few weeks, starting with walkabout) God has filled me to overflowing. there have been quite a few frustrations (today more than i was expecting) but i have felt at peace. i'm really trying not to get ahead of God, but to rest in him. to trust that he might actually know more about my future and have a better plan than i do. by no means am i all the way there. today was quite challenging as it showed me how even when i'm being obedient, i am by no means exempt from needing to depend on him.
today was a good reminder of my need to place my unknowns into the hands of a knowing God.
because he not only takes care my unknowns and all my needs, but he fills me to overflowing.

2 comments:

BDT said...

This sounds very "Psalm 23." I like your point. Although we are expected to be active in our faith and put in effort, it is no use working ourselves to death trying to do something that ultimately requires the action of the Holy Spirit. I think when we overwork ourselves (I'm the worst offender) it proves our lack of trust in God. To bring up "The Hiding Place" again, that's what struck me about that book. Corrie's unshakable trust in the Lord, in all things large and small. That's were she found peace, not from work but from trust. It's kind of an Isaiah 40:31 thing.
Thanks for the reflection. Al is on the money!

-BenT

Unknown said...

Anaheim Ducks Jerseys, CHL Jerseys, Kansas City Chiefs Jerseys, Chicago Bears Jerseys, Kids NHL Hoodies Jerseys, Toronto Maple Leafs Jerseys, 2015 New Jerseys, Winnipeg Jets Jerseys, NHL Camo Jerseys, Ottawa Senators Jerseys, 2015 New Nike NFL Jerseys, Houston Texans Jerseys, Cleveland Browns Jerseys, Minnesota Vikings Jerseys, New England Patriots Jerseys, Christian Louboutin Shoes, New Orleans Saints Jerseys, Christian Louboutin Slingbacks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jerseys, Philadelphia Flyers Jerseys,