Sunday, June 3, 2007

my job

every day that i'm still here, i am so thankful for the countdown that is going on. i'm continually reminded of God's goodness in telling me to quit. trust is such a difficult, hard but rewarding experience. i hate the idea of quitting from any job or task, but somehow the impossibility, the exhaustion and unrealistic expectations attached to my current job makes my two-weeks-notice not as horrible. last night, when some people called in and no one came to take their place, it fell to me to have double the work! after several attempts to do what was asked of me, i found a nurse and told her that it was not physically possible for me to care for all the people that had fallen to me. i've found that no night is ever the same, but it never seems to be good. it is okay on the best of nights, but mostly i feel like i'm behind with people waiting on me and no amounts of effort on my part will ever let me catch up. by the time for my dinner break (which usually falls between 7-8 lately) i feel like running away. but i am sticking it out. even though i don't feel like it, i'll do what i said i would do.

but the evening was not without its moments of humor.

i was told that my scrubs looked like maternity clothes. then i was asked if i was pregnant. oh goodness.

i was also told, after asking the resident sitting on the toliet if she desired privacy, that i was welcome to stay "if i enjoyed smelling those smellies."

No comments: