Friday, November 16, 2007

woe to me

do i act like i truly believe that God's way is the BEST way to live?
do i just think of it as an option instead of THE way to really live?

today i got a glimpse of my own pride and it wasn't pretty. i don't know if this is common, but when i read the bible, i usually tend to associate myself with the "good" guy in the story. for example, when i read the book of john, i don't associate myself with judas-maybe peter, but often a disciple who is a little more stable, like john. i realized that i do this, and asked God to help me see myself in a story, not just idealize what character i would like to imagine myself being.

today i read luke 6-
looking at his disciples, he said:
"blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.
blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.
rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven.
for that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
but woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.
woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry.
woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.
woe to you when all men speak well of you, for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets."

there's no mistaking it-i'm rich, well-fed, often filled with laughter, and spoken well of. woe to me.
how can i live a generous life? how can i bless the poor, hungry, weeping and hated?
jesus, show me how you want me to live. i want your way-help me to act as though i truly believe it is the best way to live.

No comments: