Sunday, July 29, 2007

scoundrels

“its all very well to read about sorrows and imagine yourself living through them heroically, but it’s not so nice when you really come to have them, is it?” –anne of green gables

today i have had a small sorrow of my own. when we were in a californian church this morning, scoundrels broke the passenger side window of our rental van. i walked up to the van to get in and the first thing to catch my attention was all the glass on the ground. only a moment later i glanced up, only able to utter that “something was wrong with the van.” something certainly was wrong! the entire window was shattered and we discovered that although the thieves could have stolen computers, cameras and other valuables sitting within the vehicle, all they took was my purse. i’ve been given credit for not crying but calmly talking to the police officer, making calls to cancel credit cards and thinking through all that was lost. although it is nice to think that i am able to handle such trials without losing my head, I don’t really think that it was me. the holy spirit is the one who was giving me peace and allowing me to comfort my brothers, when i felt just as confused and violated as they did.

driving through california without one of the front window has been an interesting time. i’ve been able to experience many things about this state that i would have missed out on otherwise.
the wind in my hair
the odor of cows as we passed farms
the smell of onions from the fields we drove by
enjoying the ocean breeze as we drove into huntington beach
a special appreciation for God’s protection

today has also given new meaning to john 10:10, “the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full.” for all satan’s deceit and trickery, there is nothing like the assurance that jesus has the ability to offer life and protection. as i watched the police report get filled out, i had the strange revelation that i was a victim as my name was written in that blank. it is a helpless and scary feeling to know i do not have the ability to protect myself from common thieves. this verse kept coming to my mind for the rest of the day whenever i thought about what happened. the loss of my personal belongings is nothing compared to the enemy of my soul who seeks to steal and kill and destroy. i’m afraid i have far to often flippantly read over this verse without comprehending the meaning behind these words.

while i could never say that i am glad that i achieved the title of victim today, i am thankful for all that God has shown me through it all. he has once again revealed his faithful nature, his promise for my life as well as the desires of the enemy.

as much as i would like to forget parts of today, i am hopeful that this memory stays close to me as i seek to trust him in all things.

No comments: