Tuesday, September 11, 2007

prone to wander

bible study tonight was just what i needed. i've never led a study before, but God really put it on my heart this summer. jodi and i worked well together tonight. i'm excited for the days ahead. the numbers were small, but each person was there because of her desire to know God better and be accountable to others in that desire.

i was once again reminded of my fickle nature. i was once again reminded of the faithfulness of the God i serve. the last question of the night was "what can you do in the coming week to be more faithful to christ and his gospel?"
what can i do this week to become a little less of me and a little more like him?
my goal for the week is to memorize ephesians 5:16-20. i really want to have his word in my head this week for more than the few minutes i open the pages of my bible.
lord, i'm prone to wander. take me and seal me.

come thou fount of every blessing
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise
teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
praise the mount! i'm fixed upon it,
mount of God's unchanging love.

here i raise my ebenezer;
hither by thy help i'm come;
and i hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.

o to grace how great a debtor
daily i'm constrained to be!
let that grace now like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
prone to wander, lord, i feel it,
prone to leave the God i love;
here's my heart, o take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

1 comment:

John said...

Ebenezer
In 1st Samuel 4 and 5, "Ebenezer" is strangely identified with a particular site, about four miles south of Gilgal. There the Philistines twice defeated the Israelites and the Ark of the Covenant was stolen. It was after the Israelites finally defeated the Philistines, and took back the Ark of the Covenant that the name Ebenezer was given to this place. In commemoration of God providing the victory, Samuel set up a marker-stone, naming it "Stone of Help" (Ebenezer). So, as we raise our Ebenezer, we to are lifting our praise to the God who provided our victory over sin and our victory each day in so many ways.