Tuesday, March 20, 2007

out of control!

out of control. i feel like that is the only way to describe this morning.

first of all, when i woke up before 5 this morning, i went to the mirror to discover my face was peeling. sunburns are awesome. at least the redness has gone down some, but i think i would prefer the embarrassed look over skin flaking off my face!

we made it to our clinicals early, compared to getting lost last week! i got assigned to a cna again this week and got to do alot again!!

one of the first things i did was give a woman a shower. when my cna told her that i was a nursing student, the woman asked, "are you sure that's a good idea?" i wondered the same thing, as i began to help this woman shower by myself. i was very nervous, but i tried to focus on the woman i was helping. before long, she was clean and she told me that i should get an "A" for showering. she said i was even better than some of the people who worked there.

i fed a man his breakfast. he couldn't hear me very well, but he certainly could talk! everything he said sounded like he was hitting on me, but because he was an old guy in bed who couldn't even feed himself, he definitely got away with it. i laughed so much when i was out of his presence. not only does he share the name of a staff member (who i could almost picture acting like this now, even more so as an old guy!), but i don't think i will ever think of french toast the same.
some of the topics we...actually, he discussed, with my limited input:
-my single status
-my lack of opportunities for relationships at my young age (he assured me not to worry! i would have time.)
-swimming and what kind of bathing suit i wear
-a compromise of bathing suits: since he likes one-pieces and i wear a two-piece (tankini), i should only wear the top next time i swim
-the benefits of girl-girl relationships: no pregnancies!
-when to have kids
-whether or not i would consider having a girl-girl relationship (she would have to be pretty, if i did, according to him)
-threesomes and the downfall of having your mate/significant other being a part of the threesome (he or she might like the other person better than you)
when i thought one topic was bad enough, he just kept going! i must say, i didn't feel like he was suggesting these things for me to do outright, although it came out that way. it was more like he was informing me of my options...as they were.

the clinical time ended just as humorously with our entire clinical group singing karoake to "i'm leaving on a jet plane" because of an event they were having that day. holly wore the afro wig and led the rest of our reluctant group in a relatively enthusiastic round of this song. all the residents loved it! =)

a little out of control, but my comfort level is increasing ever so slightly. and i was told today that i was going to be a great nurse by the cna i worked with along with a few residents. today felt like a little light at the end of this rather dark tunnel!

No comments: