Sunday, February 3, 2008

every day

i just got back from church and am a little speechless.
it doesn't happen very often, but there are times when i KNOW that God intended that message for me. and today was one of those times.
the first song we sang was "every day." and i really felt like God was telling me to give each day to him. one at a time. not whole chunks. just each day as they happen.
later in the service, God really spoke to me through a testimony that was given. one of the things that God told him was not to get so caught up in trying to discern his will or discover what he wants that he misses out on enjoying him. and i heard a little whisper saying, "alison, rest in me. trust me. enjoy me. i know you are seeking after me. i will work out the rest."
at the end of the service, the pastor got up and said that God had given him something to end with. the thought that went through my head was that i had already had my word from God. (as if God can only tell me one thing!) and then the pastor said that God had told him to remind us that we can't outgive God. whatever he asks us to sacrifice or give up, he will pour out his rich abudance on us in return.

"Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good." -Romans 8:26-28, The Message

1 comment:

Mandipants said...

such a great reminder, thanks for sharing!