Friday, February 29, 2008

ICU-take 2

my second day (wednesday) in the ICU was quite interesting. my nurse for the day was determined to let me do as much as i was able to do, which turned out to be quite alot.
at the end of the day he complimented me on my willingness to do anything and my confidence/composure-this was quite encouraging to hear, because rest assured, i didn't feel any of that. instead, i felt nervous, unconfident and scared of doing something wrong and harmful to my patients.
but none of my fears came true. the worst thing that happened was that i put the giant sticker on the tube of blood that i drew instead of the tiny one, which succeeded in amusing my nurse.
some of the highlights of my day include:
-drawing blood for the first time!
-removing a NG tube
-successfully putting in a NG tube on the first try! (unlike last semester...)
-watching a MRI
-holding the hand of a contagious man with dementia as we took him to his MRI
-braiding the hair of a schizophrenic woman
-later giving her a neck rub and talking with her
-knowing the answers to the doctor's questions (granted, these questions weren't difficult, but i knew the answers!)

yesterday, i received the form for ranking our top choices for a preceptor experience next year. as i look over the options and the long hours next year will hold, i get a little overwhelmed. but then i remember the blessing of holding my patient's hand or making my patient feel beautiful as i french-braided her hair, and i know why i signed up for this. i want to spend my time helping people in tangible ways-treating their physical illnesses while ministering to their emotional and spiritual needs by providing a listening ear or a gentle touch. those moments seem easy to forget about in the midst of tests, drug cards and studying, but God always provides those moments when i need them.

No comments: